Wednesday, February 16, 2011





I was looking for the perfect treat for our Girl Scout Valentine’s Day party & I took some advice from my new friend, Tawnna from
www.bakemeacakesupply.com & decided to make heart-shaped whoopie pies. This was new territory for me, so I looked up a recipe & forged ahead. The pies tasted great (I cheated & ate one even though it isn’t gluten free) but I learned the hard way that this is NOT one of the recipes that can handle substitutions. I exchanged margarine for butter & used low fat cream cheese & the filling was WAY TOO soft. Even after adding an additional box of powdered sugar (so much for being healthier) it was still so soft that I had to store the pies in the fridge or the frosting melted into a blob. So learn from my mistake J I think I may try again for St Patrick’s day . . . in search of a shamrock cookie cutter!Whoopie Pies Pie Ingredients:
  • 1 boxed cake mix (I used both strawberry and red velvet)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup oil
Filling Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (don’t substitute margarine – you won’t like the results!)
  • 1 1/3 cups Marshmallow Fluff
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 oz. cream cheese, softened (don’t sub low fat – again, it isn’t pretty!)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. Salt
  • Theme sprinkles
  • Chocolate Hearts
Heart-shaped cookie cutter.
 
  • Preheat oven to 400 & line cookie sheet with parchment paper (I just re-discovered this stuff & forget why I stopped using it! The pies just came out beautifully with it.)
  • In mixing bowl beat all ingredients on medium low speed until well combined. Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. (I used an ice cream scoop so the pies were larger & uniform in size & shape.)
  • Bake 8-10 minutes, until puffed and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  • While the pies are still warm cut with a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Cool on rack.
  • In mixing bowl, add butter, marshmallow, powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt & beat until smooth.
  • Once pies are cool, top half of them with 2T of filling, top with an additional pie & roll in sprinkles. Finally, top with a small dab of filling & the chocolate heart.
  • Keep chilled until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment